The National Bed Federation (NBF) has announced the categories for the 2020 bed industry ‘Oscars’ – including a one-off award for the COVID 19 Community Champion.
Now in their 11th year, winners of the prestigious awards – usually presented at the annual Bed Show gala dinner in September – will this year be announced in a live ‘virtual ceremony’ on 26 November.
Launching the awards, NBF executive director Jessica Alexander said: “The show itself may have been cancelled because of the Coronavirus pandemic but new developments in product innovation and sustainability continue.
“We thought long and hard about this year’s awards and feel they have become such an important and motivating part of the industry year that it was critical they should go ahead, albeit in a way that reflects the extraordinary nature of the year.”
This year’s categories are as follows:
Three product-based manufacturer/supplier awards (these are open to NBF members only):
- Bed of the Year
- Accessory Product of the Year (including headboards, pillows, toppers, mattress protectors etc)
- Component Product/Machine of the Year (the machinery element is new for 2020)
Three Retailer of the Year awards:
- Small Bed Retailer of the Year (less than 10 stores)
- Large Bed Retailer of the Year (10 or more stores)
- Online Bed Retailer of the Year (at least 80% of sales via internet)
Two general category awards for both NBF members and retailers – for businesses not individuals:
- Sustainability Award – for the most significant contribution/innovation in sustainability
- COVID-19 Community Champion Award – for the business deemed to have made the greatest contribution to supporting the country during the pandemic
The awards are open for entry now with the deadline for submissions being 5pm Friday October 16.
This year’s judges are:
Manufacturing awards – Steve Adams (Mattress Online); Jerry Cheshire (Surrey Beds); Paul Farley (Furniture News); Paul Stott (The Virtual Works).
Retailer awards – Richard de Melim (Furnishing Report); Andrew Kidd (Interiors Monthly); Dan Squires (Inside Furniture); Bernard Eaton (Greenwood Retail).
Sustainability award – David Fitzsimons (Oakdene Hollins); Izzie Eriksen (Zero Waste Scotland).
COVID 19 Community Award – David Woodward (Master of the WCFM); John Hancock (former MD of Sealy UK and Past President of the NBF 1998-2000).